I like DIT’s style.
Well, it’s begun: the “Is One Life Enough” class, now being taught for the fourth time, by the Dublin Institute of Technology using 3D Web. Not only am I the in-world registrar and teacher assistant, I am a student, and must complete the assignments. Criminy, I have not taken a college class in *number censored* decades! I have to say, though,
that I like DIT’s style. Our homework includes “GO SHOPPING”. It also includes “WRITE A BLOG POST EXPLAINING YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND GOALS FOR BEING IN THIS CLASS, FOR COMPARISON LATER WHEN THE COURSE IS COMPLETED.”
So here goes:
MY GOALS FOR IOLE
- I hope to better understand how to use Facebook (which we have to use in the class, along with Twitter, Second Life, and blogging). Just so you know, I hate Facebook *sigh*.
- I hope to be part of a groundbreaking, successful example of the continuing, intentional, effective use of 3D Web in education.
By “continuing” I mean, for many years to continue.
By “intentional” I mean, beyond “experimenting” (which we’ve already had more than enough of in the last five years).
By “effective” I mean, students achieving the class goals of being able to use social media tools for professional, as well as social, success.
- I hope to have a lot of fun, including getting to know a whole new bunch of folks (the fall 2010 class has 18 students and 4 staff)
- I hope to conceive and implement many more ideas for successful, innovative, inspiring 3D Web use (which is, after all, my business!)
- Gathering and chatting on the steps of the in-world DIT campus, waiting for students to log in. Reminded me of growing up in Pittsburgh waiting for Liberty Elementary School’s doors to open to let us in.
- Struggling to get students to understand to CLICK THE BLUE BUTTON to teleport up to the DIT Skybox classroom (which is at 1,000 meters straight up). Reminded me of the scene from The Matrix: “If you take the BLUE pill… but if you take the RED pill…”
- Getting late students teleported in while the lecturer lectured. In Chat: Percy (not real name) can’t get in. What’s Percy’s avatar name? Tilskin. I can’t fine a Tilskin. Oh, it’s actually Tilszken. Got ‘em!
- In the last half hour when released to chat, 18 students flinging around the skybox saying “I can fly I can fly wheee!,” playing music, the lecturer smiling indulgently.
- After class, students electing to jump off the skybox to fall 1,000m as more fun than taking the teleport. “Wheeeee” “Aieeeee”
- After class, students going next door to Fibber Magees in Dublin Virtually Live and being enthusiastically greeted by the regulars, hostess, and DJ.